Welcome to the wonderful world of bocce! In case you didn’t know, bocce is one of the most consistently played and popular sports on the entire planet, and even more people are beginning to enjoy it. It’s unique yet strategizing game play is an attractive quality – plus the fact you can play with a drink in your hand.
The basic rules are not difficult, with the main goal of getting as many of your bocce balls as close to the little ball (pallino) as possible to score points.
- A coin is tossed to determine which team tosses the pallino (little ball). NOTE: e pallino must cross the center line but NOT hit the back wall to be considered playable. If this is messed up the other team gets a chance. It must also be at least 12 inches away from the side boards.
- When the pallino is tossed properly into play the team which tossed the pallino is the rst to toss their bocce ball.
PLAYING THE GAME
- The team who threw the pallino throws ONE ball trying to get as close to the pallino as possible. ey then step aside and the next team throws a ball. If the second team does not get closer to the pallino than the rst team they will continue until they do so or toss all their balls.
- The team who is closest is called “inside” and the opposing team “outside”.
- Whenever a team gets “inside” they step aside and the other team tosses. is continues until both teams have used all their bocce balls (4 for each team).
- Only the “inside” team may score during a frame, with a maximum of 4 points. One point is given for each ball closest to the pallino. For example, if the “inside” team has 2 balls closest to the pallino but the “outside” team has the next closest the “inside” team only scores 2 points.
- The team that scored in the previous frame throws the pallino to begin the next frame.
- Balls that appear to be the same distance may be measured. Should both balls be considered equal distance the frame ends in a tie and the next one begins.
- The first team to 21 wins and you DO NOT need to win by 2.
There is a foul line. You may not cross it when tossing your ball.
HITTING THE BACK WALL
A ball which is tossed and hits the back wall is dead and out of play unless it hits another ball rst or the pallino ball, in which case all balls are still live.
BALL TOUCHING OR MOVEMENT
It’s simple…don’t touch the balls that are in play. If you mess them up the other team is awarded points.
It is not permitted. is is the act of tossing your ball and hitting another ball or the pallino ball without hitting the court rst (essentially tossing it up in the air in the hopes of landing on top of another ball as a strategic move). Don’t do it.
As you play more and more, or if you play against a team that knows what they’re doing, you’ll notice it is not always as simple as trying to get your ball closest to the pallino. You may toss your ball and knock others out of the way or even move the pallino with your ball to a better position. But these are best learned with practice and watching YouTube videos.
So that’s about it. Like everything, practice makes perfect. Our courts are available for open play and league play. Information and rates are available on our website tenpinalley.com.